Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Parker's Arrival...unscheduled as it should be.


It was Wednesday, September 23, 2009 and I was 37 weeks pregnant. I woke up at 7:30 a.m. after one hour of sleep because of pregnancy induced insomnia. I looked at Chris and said, "I am so ready for Parker to be out."


Little did we know that he would be born at 3:21 p.m. that day.


My first stop of the day was my 9:00 a.m. weekly doctors appointment. My blood pressure had been slightly elevated over the past two weeks and a few of my labs were on the high side of normal. My doctor decided to send me over to Sutter Memorial Hospital to be monitored biweekly. I was told this was very routine for a first time pregnancy.

At 10:30 a.m. I arrived to the Labor and Delivery Triage and was hooked up to the monitors. As I wait, I text Chris that I am at SMH being tested and I would let him know how it is going. Not two seconds after sending that text the nurse turns to me and asks me, "Can you feel all of the contractions you are having?" Uh...no. Contractions? Really?

I text Chris that I am having contractions and call my mom...but, tell them there is nothing to worry about - the nurse will let me know when they need to come to the hospital.

Chris decides to show up (good husband) despite my relatively calm texts and so does my mother. Chris, dressed in his uniform, decides to "run home" and change. Not two seconds after he leaves, my blood pressure shoots up to 199/114. The nurse took one look at the monitor and said, "looks like you are going to have a baby today."

Why did I think that just because Parker's due date was scheduled that the date was set in stone? I had so much to do...one more week of work, a hair cut, a pedicure, finish his room. I was on the phone 10 minutes before going into surgery trying to tie up some loose ends at work.


I call Chris - he grabs the camera, video camera and my half packed bag (I did have another two weeks to prepare) and gets back to the hospital. He walks in the door at 2:55 p.m. while I am being wheeled into the operating room. Chris and my mom put on their scrubs and get ready to join me in the room.
Parker is born at 3:21 in the afternoon and registered at 6 pounds, 11 ounces and 19 inches.


We waited six years to have a baby. It was such a special moment to see him, smell him, meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment